Monday, December 12, 2005

Playlist 12/12/05

Artist "Song Title" - Album Title [Record Label]

Vandermark 5 "Suitcase (For Ray Charles, Elvin Jones, and Steve Lacy)" - The Color of Memory [Atavistic]
John Coltrane "Mr. PC" - Sheets of Sound [Recall]
Pharoah Sanders "Love Is Everywhere" - Love Is In Us All [Impulse!]
Anthony Braxton "R76" - The Complete Anthony Braxton 1971 [Arista Freedom]
Paul Bley "Ballade" - Alone, Again [Improvising Artists]
Eric Dolphy "Iron Man" - Iron Man [Celluloid]
Jin Hi Kim "Core" - Komungo [OO Discs]
Ricci Rucker "4004" - Fuga [Alpha Pup]
Sonny Sharrock "Soon" - Monkey Pockie Boo [BYG]
John Coltrane "Peace On Earth" - Infinity [Impulse!]
Matthew Shipp "The Root" - Equilibrium [Thirsty Ear]

Like I wrote last week, this is my last show. I know I didn't keep up on the writing (mostly due to school, graduation stuff), but I'm now writing for a couple magazines if it should so interest anyone.
+ Tiny Mix Tapes put out a call specifically for free-jazz, avant-garde, and noise writers a month ago. Phillip (Space Is the Place) and I both were accepted. You can already find a couple reviews here and here.
+ Bandoppler will make its triumphant (3rd) return in February 2006. I'm already working on a Peter Brotzmann/Nasheet Waits piece for it. The magazine's approach is a bit more holistic conducting interviews, researching and responding to other critical work, and generally writing more "academic" articles. I'm looking forward to how it will challenge me as a writer.

Oh, and that Pharoah Sanders song I played tonight is just classic. Essential listening if you're into his Karma period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home