Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Leo Records OGG downloads

This past summer Leo Records announced a pretty swank deal where you could download a single album for $4, double for $8, etc, all in OGG format, a bitrate far superior to MP3 and DRM-free. In October, the price went back to $7, three weeks later it was $6, and now it looks like it's down to $5. Like I mentioned before, for import-phobics, this is a great price. (Once again, my only complaint is the absence of liner notes, which they could easily include as a PDF file.) Don't know how long this will last, but I have a feeling the price lowered quickly because jazz nerds must have liner notes (ask any one). I make my own, but that just brings me to a different level of nerdery altogether.


With news of the sale, I've purchased the Abraham Adzinyan/Anthony Braxton 1994 live duo (linked in the image above). I haven't had the chance to listen to it, yet, but I keep finding myself more attracted to Braxton's free-improv recordings. His composed works fascinate the hell out of me as do his musical/philosophical theories, though I seem to take more away from listening to Braxton create from scratch.

Some other downloads I've enjoyed from Leo:
+ Simon Nabatov/Han Bennink- Chat Room: Mostly bop-infuenced pianist Nabatov meets Dutch free-jazz master in what should be a clash of the titans - to borrow a lame phrase - and result in a powerful intuition.
+ Evan Parker- Synergetics: Phonomanie III: Two-discs of master free-improv featuring komungo player Jin Hi Kim, vocalist Sainkho Namtchylak, and electronic wiz Walter Prati.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home